FOOD HANDLERS CLASSES are for those working with foods and food service. The Wheeling-Ohio County Health Department requires all food service workers to have a current food handler card, issued by/through the Wheeling-Ohio County Health Department.
- This course is required for all Ohio County employees that handle food and/or wash dishes.
- The purpose of this course is to reduce food borne illness and teach sanitary food practices.
- The course covers proper food handling practices that are required under the 2005 FDA Food Code.
- Employees must obtain a valid food service worker card within thirty (30) days of hire.
- A copy of this card must be kept at the place of employment.
PIC (Person In Charge) Trainings provide information necessary for all designated PIC as well as managers, owners and operators of restaurants and other facilities in Ohio County. This training will cover the 2005 FDA Food Code. Food service facilities are required to have a Person In Charge (PIC) at all times the establishment is open.
Food handler cards are accepted from the county health departments of Brooke, Hancock, Marshall and Wetzel/Tyler in West Virginia. Volunteer food service worker’s permit cards are issued at no cost to individuals working in volunteer settings. These individuals receive no pay and the cards can not be used in a paid food service setting.
Online Food Handler Programs. The Wheeling-Ohio County Health Department has partnered with http://www.statefoodsafety.com/food-handler/west-virginia/ohio-county, www.TAPSeries.com and http://wvfoodhandlers.com to offer online food service worker classes for purchase. Individuals, whose schedules do not allow them to attend our in-person classes, should do one of these as an alternative. A food service worker may click one of the links above and then click “Add to Cart ” for the State Food Safety class, “Buy Course” for the TAP series class or “Get Started” for the WV Food Handlers course. People whose schedule does not allow them to attend our in-person classes, should do one of these as an alternative.
Food Handlers Cards Fees:
- 2 Year $10.00
- 2 Year State Wide Card $20.00
- Volunteer Free (1 year)Volunteer cards can be issued at no cost to the organization or food handler. These cards cannot be used in a paid food service positions.
- Replacement Card $5.00
- On Line Food Cards $20.00 (StateFood) & $19.95 (TAP Series)
- Add an additional $10.00 for a State Wide Card
Class registration and a $10.00 fee must be paid prior to the day of the class. All regular classes are held at the City/County Building, 1st floor. Off-site classes can be arranged with more than 15 employees. Pre-registration is required for the class.
Call (304) 234-3682 for more information.